Thursday, May 19, 2011

3 New Recipes Today! Fresh Blueberry Syrup on Whole Wheat Pancakes

What a wonderful day! We tried three new recipes, all to varying degrees of success. Let's talk about breakfast, then I will put lunch and dinner's recipes in separate posts.

The wheat pancake recipe is the only type of pancakes that our family has eaten for years, so here is the recipe.

Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. white flour
1 T.  baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1-1/4 c.  fat free milk (coconut milk also makes great tasting pancakes!)
1 egg
(most recipes call for about 1 T. oil, so you could add that in, but I never do and they taste great!)

Whisk all together and pour on a hot skillet, flip them over when they start to form small bubbles on top. This size recipe makes about 8 pancakes, with our family, I normally double this amount. After all, who doesn't like left over pancakes as an after school snack?

Fresh Blue Berry Syrup

3/4 c. blueberries (preferably fresh, but all I had were frozen and they worked fine - I did thaw them first)
1 T. maple syrup

Place both ingredients in a blender, and blend!

Pour the syrup over your pancake, and top with some chopped nuts. The original recipe I saw called for almonds, but pecans, hazelnuts, or walnuts would work great too!

Our Opinions

Only Jeff and I were home for a late breakfast, and we I really enjoyed the new syrup. Jeff liked it too but thought it was a bit bland, so he added a bit more maple syrup on his plate. However, Jeff will confess that for him, pancakes are sometimes more like a dessert than a breakfast! But he says, "the blueberry syrup was really good."

Fruit syrup has always been my preference on pancakes, so I am eager to try the same blender syrup with raspberries, and mixed berries! Great syrup with a whole lot less syrup!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I would have got a picture of this breakfast. Delicious! Even if it wasn't dessert - hehe

    ReplyDelete