Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Oatmeal Deluxe


Top 1 cup cooked oatmeal with:
  • 1/2 cup raspberries
  • 2 Tbs. raw almond slivers
  • 2 Tbs. toasted unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 2 tsp. maple syrup.

A simple breakfast that Jeff and I enjoyed this morning, and quite tasty! I do not have the exact nutritional info, but cooked as is it has about 400 calories. We did not have raspberries, but frozen mixed berries. They worked great (though a little freezer burned, how long have they been in there anyhow?), but would prefer fresh. Jeff says that raisins would be another great option instead of berries. I used chopped pecans, and Jeff had almonds. Also, I only had shredded, sweetened coconut.

Jeff and I shared this portion, and it was enough for me (and, honestly, I am not yet up to eating a full cup of oatmeal!). But we both agree that this is definitely something we would eat again! Jeff really liked the maple syrup, because it had just a touch and didn't make the dish too sweet, but every now and again you would get a bite of the sweetness and it was a nice treat!

Source: Vegetarian Times, June 2011, pg. 60

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that this was a pretty good experience for me. I usually think of oatmeal as a desert because of the sweetened varieties that I usually have. This was a really great breakfast and I would definitely have it again.

    ReplyDelete